Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Spinach Madeline

I can't tell you how long ago it was when I first had this recipe, but I know who made it and it has been a part of my holiday dinners ever since.My friend Emma passed this on to me from her cookbook. I've had to make slight adjustments due to not being able to find an exact substitution here, but all in all it still tastes about the same and that is fantastic!

6 oz Jalapeno Cheese (or a chilli cheese, or a mild cheese like Gouda and a couple Jalapeno peppers       chopped) Grate the cheese.
2 Pkgs Frozen Spinach ( The American packages are 10 oz each, so 20 oz total)
4 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Flour
2 Tbsp Onion (chopped small)
1/2 C Evaporated Milk (I make this myself. Measure 1 cup in small pan and slowly cook down to 1/2      cup. Condensed milk is NOT THE SAME THING)
1/2 C Veggie liquor (This is the juice squeezed from the spinach, not alcohol)
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
3/4 tsp Celery salt
3/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Salt (optional)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Defrost the spinach
Squeeze the spinach until mostly dry reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid
Melt butter in a sauce pan over low heat
Add flour, stir until blended smooth. Do Not Brown
Add liquid from the spinach and the milk, Stir constantly and slowly
Cook until smooth and thick
Add the cheese and spices, stir until smooth
Add spinach


You can serve it immediately or put it in a buttered casserole dish and bake it with buttered bread crumbs on top (about 1/2 hr while the Turkey is resting).

No comments:

Post a Comment