Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Gumbo

I grew up in the North East of the US. And when I say North I mean NORTH. So people have always been shocked when I whip up something that is typically not found in the Northern diet, Like chicken fried steak, though that has become a truck stop favorite all over the US. Things like biscuits and gravy, though this too has a far reach. But Gumbo, and not just something that shares the name, but honest made and feeds the soul, they just say 'You musta been southern in a previous life'.

Cooking of all kinds comes naturally to me and I love to explore new things. So part of my 'What do I do with leftovers' was solved again by my good friend Emma (from her mom) and the donation of her recipe of Gumbo to my repertoire of recipes. Changes have been made as again, some ingredients are just not findable at this time in Germany but many things are coming and the internet can help sometimes.

6 Tbsp Oil
6 Tbsp Flour
1 lb Sausage (Andui is best, but I work with what I can get so cabanossi is what it usually is)
1 Chicken (deboned, or a leftover Chicken or Turkey carcass)
2 Gallons of water or stock
2 Onions, Large (butcher onion size)
4-5 Celery stalks (Or half of a ball celery about the same size of the onions)
1 Bell Pepper (green)
5 Green Onions (tops only)
2 tsp Parsley, chopped
2-3 Bay leaves
Basil, Thyme, Cayenne, Salt and Pepper. All to taste

Make a Roux with the oil and flour, you are going to slow cook this until it is the color of a penny
Pan fry the sausage and drain off the oil
Saute the onions and green pepper
Boil the chicken in the water (debone it after, save the water)
Combine the chicken (turkey), Roux, and sausage with the seasonings(not parsley)
Add water and spices, cook at least 2 hours
Add parsley at the end to wilt it
Serve over rice with File' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil%C3%A9_powder)


No comments:

Post a Comment