Tuesday, September 3, 2019

It's zucchini time!

I don't have a garden but my neighbor does and it is overflowing with zucchini! so I figured I would talk about what I like to do with them. My neighbor she makes a soup of them ( Not my thing and no I don't have the recipe). I like to make zucchini bread and fritters from them. My zucchini bread recipe is basic, it comes from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, no idea what edition, I've had it since I was 18 though. It gives a list of spices to put in and that is how I used to do it until I discovered Poudre Forte, a medieval spice blend that is fantastic even in modern cooking contexts. It mixes the 'spicy' spices together and produces a beautiful blend that is good in everything from meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, and even to apple pie. You can get it from a place on line called Auntie Arwen's or you can blend your own with the recipe that is on Cariadoc's Miscellany. I buy mine pre made, usually from the Pepperer's Guild, its a slightly different blend than the other 2 but not a huge difference.

I know, I know, make with the recipes already lady, that's why I'm here! lol

Zucchini Bread:

1 1/2 c Flour
1/2 tsp Baking soda (natron in Germany)
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1 c Sugar
1 C Shredded Zucchini ( just shred it, don't squeeze it)
1/4 c Cooking oil (Canola, Vegetable, Safflower, Sunflower. NOT olive)
1 egg
1/4 tsp lemon zest (optional)

In a medium mixing bowl mix together all the dry ingredients and the zest
Add the zucchini, egg and oil
Mix all together. It will start out dry but get wetter as you mix. If having trouble wait a minute and           stir some more. It will be thick!
Pour into a loaf pan that has been greased and floured
Bake at 350°f (or 170 - 180°c depending on your oven) for 55 to 60 min

You can substitute apples for the zucchini if you like


Now, those fritters I was talking about. I have two recipes I use and will start with my favorite. These are great because they have zucchini, quinoa and cheese! Cheese makes everything better!

Quinoa Zucchini Fritters:

2 c grated zucchini
1/2 tsp salt

1 c Water
1/2 c Quinoa

1 Egg
1/2 tsp Oregano (dry)
3 cloves Garlic (minced, I grate mine with the tiny holes and then give it a bit of a chop)
1 c Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
1 c Bread crumbs
salt and pepper

Oil to fry them in (they are not deep fried, it is just enough to keep them from sticking to the pan)

Grate the zucchini and sprinkle it with salt, set aside in a strainer, you will squeeze it before adding           to the mixture

Combine water and quinoa in a small pot
Bring to a boil, simmer 10 min
Remove from heat and let stand 10 min, fluff with a fork

Squeeze the zucchini dry as you can
Add all ingredients together, mix thoroughly

Fry in a pan for about 4 min per side


Second fritter recipe. This is zucchini and carrot. It is a pretty OK recipe and I am still playing with it a little. If you undercook them though they end up with a 'floury' taste, so make sure the oil is hot enough and you cook them long enough.

Carrot and Zucchini Fritters:

2 C Zucchini ( Shredded and squeezed dry)
2 C Carrots ( Shredded)
2 clove Garlic (minced small)
2/3 c Flour
2 Eggs
1/3 c Scallion ( Optional. I have used 2 Tbsp of grated onion and it was delicious)
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying (Olive oil works fine or use canola, vegetable, etc... These are deep fried so you need enough to deep fry in)


Mix, zucchini, carrot and garlic (onion if using)
Mix with flour, salt and pepper
Mix in the egg
* add scallion here if using

Heat the oil until it is shimmering

Fry in Tablespoons until golden brown

Serve with sour cream (schmand in Germany)

That's it folks, That's all I got right now... later!


No comments:

Post a Comment