Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Forgotten salad

As a kid, my grandmother made a 3 bean salad. I liked it ok and it was a staple in the house. Almost always a glass bowl covered in plastic wrap was found on a shelf in the fridge. I can picture it still. It was nothing fancy. Canned beans and a simple oil, vinegar, and sugar dressing.I have thought about this salad off and on but one of the components I have just never seen here in Germany. Wax beans. No clue why not, it just seems they don't exist, until last week. Last week I was looking for a jar of roasted red peppers and saw it there, a jar of wax beans (wachsbohnen) and I knew it was time to make salad. I grabbed a jar, even though it was bigger than the typical can size. I grabbed the other ingredients determined to go home and make some salad.

1 can of green beans
1 can of wax beans
1 can of kidney beans

1/2 cup oil (canola or veg oil)
1/2 cup vinegar (white or white wine)
1/2 cup sugar

Tarragon
Salt
Pepper

Rinse the kidney beans well!, Just drain the other ones.
Let sit for several hours before serving. ie, make it in the morning or the day before

I used fresh tarragon because I had none dry and there was some fresh in my neighbors herbs. It is not a flavor I am overly familiar with but it is lovely in this dressing with the beans. This would pair well with dill too or maybe your favorite herb. Keep it singular and keep it light.

No comments:

Post a Comment