Monday, August 26, 2019

Lets talk about Swedish Meatballs

I love Swedish meatballs and so do my kids. When looking for a recipe I went straight to the source! My friend Marie who is, of course, from Sweden. I asked and she provided a very basic and easy recipe. There are fancier ones out there but this one does the trick every time!

500 g Ground beef (you could use the mixed pork and beef if you like)
1 Egg Yolk
400 ml Cream (divided)
2 small onions
Salt and Pepper
* optional nutmeg or mace

Cut one of the small onions into tiny pieces, this will go in the meatballs

Add meat, egg yolk, onion, salt, pepper and enough cream equal to the size of the egg yolk
     (between 1-2 Tbsp) you could add a dash of nutmeg or mace to the meat

Mix well, I do it by hand

Fry the meatballs in a pan (add a pat of butter if you need)

Remove the meatballs and set aside, drain all but a Tbsp of the fat

Cut the other onion into strips add to the grease in the pan, fry until soft

Add cream (you could add a dash of nutmeg or mace here)

Add salt and pepper

I cook on a light simmer for 1/2 hr, cooking longer is not a problem, watch the cream that it doesn't boil or simmer away, you can reduce it down to thicken it.

I serve mine with noodles!

Update!!!
I had some other Swedish friends chime in on my post and I would like to add their input here:

Eva, Johanna and Magdalena uses a whole egg and no cream for her meatballs

Monica supplied me with her recipe as well:

500g mincemeat (50/50 pork mincemeat and beef mincemeat.)
0.5 dl breadcrumbs (for a lighter texture)

2dl milk (or cream if you are feeling fancy) 
1 medium onion, finely chopped or grated, sauteed to golden
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste.

Mix breadcrumbs, sauteed onion pepper and salt. Pour over the milk and stir well. You want a soft slurry. Add the egg and stir. Mash your mince into the mixture until well blended. Make meatballs and fry them in butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment