Monday, September 30, 2019

Scalloped potatoes

or potatoes au gratin. Same thing in my book. It's been called both in my family and I have no clue why. OK, I found an answer here https://www.thekitchn.com/scalloped-potatoes-au-gratin-difference-261486 .

That makes my recipe, Potatoes au gratin.

My gram made it with ham in it and so do I, sometimes. This recipe makes a 'pan' 8x8 or 9x9 is normal. I have some lovely small pans as well (approx 6.5 x 4.5 inches) that 1/3 of the recipe fits in nicely.

Preheat oven to 400°

3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
3 cloves garlic (minced)
3 Tbsp Onion (very fine)
1 C Broth
2 C Milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4-6 C Potatoes sliced (1/4 in thick)
2 C Cheese (shredded)

Melt the butter, on med low
Saute the onion and garlic
Add the flour and cook for 1 min
Slowly add the broth and milk
Add salt and pepper
Cook until thickened

Butter your pan

Add 1/3 of the potatoes in a layer covering the bottom completely
Add 1/3 of the cheese sprinkled on top. Add grated or thin sliced ham too if you like
Cover with 1/3 of the liquid
Place another layer of potatoes and repeat
Cover with final layer of potatoes, cheese and sauce

Cover with aluminum foil (I butter it so that the sauce/cheese don't stick, Place this on a sheet or another piece of foil
Bake for 1/2 hour
Remove foil, you can add extra cheese if you like
Bake for another 1/2 hour to 45 min

Ham is optional.... never tried bacon though the thought sounds good


No comments:

Post a Comment