Monday, August 19, 2019

Let's talk about corn chowder

OK folks, time for a taste of home. At least for me. A summer favorite that I have been making for a long while.

Corn was a summer staple on our supper table growing up. Normally butter and sugar but sometimes some silver queen. Didn't seem to matter how many people were at the house we would boil up a dozen ears at a time. Extra, if there were any, I would make into corn chowder. Again a recipe that I played with a million times changing out ingredients and making it just the way I like. So today I have whipped up a batch and written out as I went along so I can share with you ( my whopping 5 readers, lol).

Ingredients:

2 Ears Corn
1 Small Onion (yellow, diced)
50 gm Bacon (or salt pork. In Germany we have Schinken würful which is small cubed bacon)
1 1/2 c small diced Potato (red potatoes are best)
500 ml Milk ( I used 1.5% but whole is fine)
200 ml Cream
Butter
Salt
Pepper

Instructions:

In a med pot add a pat of butter
On a med heat add the bacon, you want to sweat out the fat
Cut the corn off the cob (You can cook the corn first but there is no need to. If you do not the kernels      stay crisper)
Add the kernels and cook for 5 to 10 min Add butter if needed.
Make a hole in the center of the pot, add a pat of butter, add the onion
Stir after about 2 min and keep cooking until the onion has softened
Add in the milk, the cream and the potatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook without boiling until the potatoes are soft.

Play with the recipe as you like. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment