Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Christmas dinner (A Wellington of sorts)

This was my first Christmas completely alone. No kids, no family, just me. There happened to be a sale on Hirsch Rücken, or deer back. I picked up a small 300g piece as it is just me and while leftovers are great... I don't need that much left over and besides, a bigger piece cooks easier, less likely to over cook it.

I rolled the options around in my head and landed on the idea that I wanted to make it into a wellington. I don't do pate' and I hate mushrooms but had seen spinach used and though that was the direction I would take. Boy was I wrong! lol. I looked at recipes and began to assemble in my head what I was going to do and then I threw it onto my facebook and the ideas just took off. I had a great time 'crowdsourcing' how to invent this thing. It was settled that I would surround the meat with a decoction of fruit. I went with what I had on hand which happened to be dry cranberries, raisins, and apple. I soaked it all overnight in a sweet (leiblich) red wine and spices. I used my medieval sweet powder, and some medieval peppers (cubebs and long pepper) I ground a bit of whole allspice and black pepper into it as well. After soaking it over night I threw it on the stove and cooked it until it was dry and sticky. At first thinking I would puree' it and then deciding to leave it as it was and add some toasted and chopped pecans to it. I would eat this concoction alone! I happen to have enough left over and a small piece of pastry left as well as a small camembert ... I know what I'm having as a snack!

Anyway back to my meat. That I also put the peppers on as well as rosemary and covered it with a fabulous smoked salt that had been gifted to me (juniper and birch). I put a pretty thick layer on it, rolled it in a ziplock and back into the fridge it went. I know it spent at least 24 hours like that. Next time either less salt or less time as for me it was a little salty but that also could be because it was the end piece.

I was reminded (Thanks John) that of course the professionals use crepes inside the wellington to absorb the juices and keep the pastry crisp. Now, this is great but you see, I had never made crepes before. I've seen it done, I know the theory, I had just never practiced. No time like the present right? Thankfully I was rescued by Gordon Ramsey and the internet. He had a lovely recipe for beef wellington and a savory crepe with chive and thyme in the batter. So, I tried it. I need practice but they tasted pretty good. I know what mistakes I made and how to fix them (most of them) and my fantastic friend Adam has said he will give me crepe lessons!

All in all I am extremely happy with how it turned out, I would like to try this again. with beef or with the venison again. I will definitely be making more of the fruit compote for things. I love that stuff!


All in all, Merry Christmas, and step out of your comfort zone in the new year.


No comments:

Post a Comment