Friday, January 24, 2020

Meatloaf

I've been sick and struggling with some personal things and when this happens I turn to comfort foods. A conversation has lead me to telling you about one in particular.

My mom wasn't a great cook, actually when I was a kid she very rarely cooked. It was box macaroni and cheese, cup of soup or take out. On a super rare occasion she would however make meatloaf and for some reason, I loved it! When I had my son Aiden she wanted to help me out so she asked if she could make some dinners for me. I begged for her meatloaf first thing. Always with mashed potatoes and the veggie varies. If I had my way I would eat it with buttered baby lima beans, but, as I can't get those, peas , broccoli or mixed veg are good substitutes.

My recipe is simple and is 1/2 recipe 1/2 instructions... Meatloaf is simple.

Basic ingredients:

Ground beef (you could use other meats)                 500 gm (1 lb)
Oatmeal                                                                     3/4 cup ( roughly estimated)
Onion (chopped)                                                        a small onion
Italian seasoning                                                        1 tsp or so
Parsely                                                                       1 Tbsp or so
Beef bouillon (powder is best)                                  1 tsp
Egg                                                                            1
Ketchup (or BBQ sauce, or tomato paste)                2 Tbsp (if using paste thin it some)
Salt and Pepper                                                         to taste

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl
Shape into a loaf and or put into a bread pan
Top with more ketchup or BBQ sauce
Bake at 375°f for about an hour


No comments:

Post a Comment