Monday, July 29, 2019

Broccoli cheese soup, because it was on sale

So, I was out shopping, as ya do, and I saw a head of lonely broccoli on sale. It looked lonely and was .99 so I thought 'Yum I'll make some broccoli rice au gratin.' Then I spotted a second head for only .29 and thought, 'Broccoli cheese soup it is!'. I can't resist a sale, especially broccoli. The weather has just turned rainy, though it is still warm and quite humid, YUCK! So some comfort food will help. I happened to also buy the stuff to make a gorgeous salad and I will do just that if I find some extra energy lying around.

So, i do what I do a lot. I hit the internet looking for decent recipes, found not quite what I wanted and made my own. So, here it is...

Broccoli Cheese Soup
1 small onion (finely diced)
3 cups broccoli (This was one 500 gm head, just the florets and chopped small, you can use stem too just chop it small or grate it)
1 large carrot (grated or you could use matchsticks, I guess 3/4 of a cup)
1 clove of garlic (a big one, smashed)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
8 oz cheddar (shredded, you could use other cheese or a combo of cheeses)
1 oz Parmesan (fresh shredded, about 1/3 cup)
2 cups Chicken Broth (could use veggie)
2 cups milk (I used 1.5% because... sale)
200 gm Creme Fresh ( Add enough milk to thin it to 1 cup. About 1/2 c milk)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Pepper fresh cracked


On med heat melt the butter
Add the onion, cook until almost tender
Add the garlic, cook 30 sec
Add the carrot, cook 2 min
Add the flour, stir well so that it is all mixed in, cook 1-2 min
Add the broth, you want this to be smooth and thick
Add the broccoli, stir and cook 1 min
Add salt and pepper
Add the milk, stir well
Add the Creme fresh
Add the cheese, stir well
Add more salt and pepper to taste
Cook about 30 min

No comments:

Post a Comment